Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bend is a black hole. This has been said by many people over many years.

You know the other things that people say about Bend?

Minimum wage with a view.
Don't come here without a job waiting for you.
Great place to come if you have money, not so great if you need to make it.

I've said them all myself, more than once, and after spending the last eleven years here, it has never been more true than it is now. Economy wise, this county is hurting and it's in this fugue state, where nothing seems to be improving (at least not quickly enough) and there are no plans to improve any time soon. It's been said that every town wants high tech jobs, and I don't doubt this. Bend's unique distinction is that it hasn't provided any incentive for said high tech workers to move here...or to keep tech workers here.

I find myself in the latter category.

No comments:

Post a Comment